The Call of the Wild


 “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else
is the greatest accomplishment.”
- Ralph Waldo Emerson


What is it about some people that is so compelling that we can’t take our eyes off them?  Is it beauty?  Is it artistry? Is it something more or something indefinable? Whatever it is, we all know when we are in the presence of someone who is truly authentic.

How do we know when someone or something is authentic and why should we care? We’ll spend the entire month of April exploring the various answers to these questions because Authenticity is our fourth Body Presencing Key to unlocking the secrets of health, happiness, and vitality.

I was out walking my dogs the other day in the snow and ice. It was so beautiful outside; pristine and quiet. No other people (or animal people) were around. The snow was crunchy and hard from the ice that covered it. Everything was covered with a shiny glaze. 

Sampson, my eager and inexhaustible puppy, would tug at the leash when he saw a bird or a squirrel he wanted to chase. Normally I would keep him by my side according to the tame ways of city living and domestication.  (We couldn’t have him disrupt other people or animals now could we?)

This particular day however, knowing he wouldn’t go far in the snow and would probably come back when I called, I let him have his wild puppy way and follow his chasing instinct wherever it took him. He bounded up the snow, and crunched his way to his intended prey, which of course got away before he arrived on the potential crime scene.  During our walk he discovered that he could bound and bounce his way through the snow, and even did a twirl or two, before coming back to me. What fun we had! (I highly recommend this kind of puppy therapy.)

As we continued our snowy and unleashed walk I realized how wonderful it was to let him have a little of his innate wild dog ways in the city. He was able to be authentic to his nature and his being. It felt freeing to both of us. Imagine what that would be like! What if we took ourselves off of the leash and ran free chasing our dreams, following our instincts, and being our authentic selves for all the world to see? Just asking this question is the first step and for now that is all we need to take in our quest for health, wholeness, and vitality!


Small Lifestyle Changes that Promote Big Results:

Every day I intentionally create time for daily meditation. I find it helpful in listening to my still small voice inside. Some people call this still small voice soul; others call it spirit. Whatever we call it we all have a small voice inside which tells us our truths. I hear this voice coming from my stomach area and as a little voice sometimes right next to my ear.  It is a quiet voice so I have to still myself to hear it.

Every morning I sit by what I call “my morning window” and look outside. I just sit and look and listen and be. I give myself anywhere from five to fifteen minutes a day where I look outside and let the outside come inside of me. I am inspired by nature so this is a place where I can still myself and my thoughts and just listen to this voice. 

I recommend you do the same. Find a place where you can just sit and be for five to fifteen minutes a day.  Quit your mind and your thoughts. Tune into something around you like the birds, the trees, a beautiful picture that inspires you, the quiet, etc. and listen to your little voice.

If you do this daily meditation for a week to ten days, I am sure it will grow on you and you will look forward to this little time where you can just be you and listen to your own authentic voice guiding you and supporting you. It will also decrease your stress level, lower your heart rate, and increase your overall sense of happiness.


Recommended Resource:
If this sounds cool, but you don’t know how to meditate, I recommend checking out my website, www.bodypresencing.com. Click on the media page and scroll down to my Body Presencing Words of Wisdom. They are no longer than a minute in length and designed to be words that guide you to inner peace and wisdom. Try playing this during your morning quiet time and see where it leads you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tenth Key: The Power of Our Shadow Side

The Ninth Key: The Power of Rest and Fallowness

Venus and The Art of Love