In The Meantime: Learning New Things


I love to learn new things. As a result, I have had the training for four different careers. Life is too short to find myself uninterested in what I do. I have to keep things interesting, or I lose my enthusiasm for life. We all spend most of our waking hours doing some sort of work. To me, it is therefore so important to at least like what I do and gets engrossed in my work. Learning something new though involves not only taking the time, or time out of my daily life to learn something new, but also the time to integrate the work into my knowledge base and then to integrate it into my work in some way or to initiate new work and services I offer.

That becomes quite a lot of time and effort I expend without knowing the outcome in terms of how I can incorporate the new information into my existing work or start new work, etc. When I engage in learning new material, I take a significant risk as to how I can use this in my life. At those times I begin to enter that zone of time I call In the Meantime. As I begin my classes, I have no idea what this will mean for my life and my work. As I figure out how to use the new information I go, Into the Meantime...

Into the Meantime, I will continue my work as usual, or I will share the material with others, or I will set up a new website, or I will… enter the unknown as I figure out how I will use the new work opportunities. I am not usually nervous or anxious at those times because I am too engaged in the excitement of learning something new that grabs my interest. It is only later, at times of lulls in my activities that I become anxious. And here again is my opportunity to enter another, Into the Meantime zone, as I deal with the anxiety that comes up inside of me in times of lulls or gaps or relative quietness where I deal with my insecurities. There is the richness again, where I relook at the sources of my inner disquietude. I look back at my core issues: am I enough, am I good enough, or will I again have to deal with my insecurities of being alone? All this comes up in the moments of quiet within the process of incorporating something new into my life and work.

As difficult as this can be, I also welcome the discomfort because then I am re-acquainted with my humility and my fresh wounds so I can continue to grow as a person. As I stay close to my weaknesses it keeps me in touch with what we all deal with on a daily basis; the process of healing ourselves and knowing and embracing who we are as individuals. As old wounds are brought more to light and light is shown on them, we also have the opportunity to slowly close the gap on the ill effects of our wounds on us. They instead make us more in-depth and have more inner spaciousness and acceptance of ourselves and others. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tenth Key: The Power of Our Shadow Side

The Ninth Key: The Power of Rest and Fallowness

Venus and The Art of Love